Giving Ryde's past to the future

Heritage Lottery Fund Logo

Opening Times

Opening Hours

Monday - Saturday
11am - 4pm

As a mark of respect, the Museum will be closed on Monday, 21 January 2019, due to the funeral of Diana Wood, the founder of the Historic Ryde Society.

Ryde District Heritage Centre is entirely run by volunteers.

Stair Lift Facility

Mayor-Milburn-on-the-stairlift

The new stairlift officially opened on 23rd of May 2014 by Ryde’s Mayor at the time, Cllr Roi Milburn.
Ring the bell for help!

Easy Fund Raising Logo

Ryde Entertainment

Ryde Entertainment

Fine Art Exhibition at Ryde 1881

The inhabitants of 19th century Ryde enjoyed entertainment............... Bands played on the pier every evening, There were plays in the Theatre, concerts in the Town Hall, lectures and exhibitions in the Victoria Rooms and circuses on the Strand from the 1850s onwards. Local gentry also held balls and soirees in their homes - descriptions of which appeared in the local press the following week. Celebrities came from Paris and London to appear in Ryde - Mrs Jordan, Ellen Terry, Oscar Wilde, General Tom Thumb, The Christy Minstrels all appeared in Ryde following successful runs in London and over seas........Ryde was the place to be after London, Paris, New York! Hairdressers and other businessmen also followed the same route.
2013-06-03T00:57:12+00:00
Ryde Entertainment The inhabitants of 19th century Ryde enjoyed entertainment............... Bands played on the pier every evening, There were plays in the Theatre, concerts in the Town Hall, lectures and exhibitions in the Victoria Rooms and circuses on the Strand from the 1850s onwards. Local gentry also held balls and soirees in their homes - descriptions of which appeared in the local press the following week. Celebrities came from Paris and London to appear in Ryde - Mrs Jordan, Ellen Terry, Oscar Wilde, General Tom Thumb, The Christy Minstrels all appeared in Ryde following successful runs in London and over seas........Ryde was the place to be after London, Paris, New York! Hairdressers and other businessmen also followed the same route.

Railings

Railings

Cyril the sea Serpent on Ryde Pier

The railings on the pier were installed in 1895. It is believed the shelters were built at the same time, by Isaac Barton, a Mayor of Ryde, to a design by local architect Thomas Hellyer. Cyril the sea serpent is the guide for the Children's Page of the website.
2013-06-03T01:02:06+00:00
Railings The railings on the pier were installed in 1895. It is believed the shelters were built at the same time, by Isaac Barton, a Mayor of Ryde, to a design by local architect Thomas Hellyer. Cyril the sea serpent is the guide for the Children's Page of the website.

Local Newspapers

Local Newspapers

Ventilator Royals visit July 19 1873

Ryde and the Isle of Wight have a long history of local newspaper printing. The Isle of Wight Observer was begun in 1846, although not established until 1852.  It was printed at The Colonnade, Ryde by George and subsequently, Hannah Butler. From the first issue, Fashionable Lists were printed weekly to show residents and visitors who was in town. The Isle of Wight Times, Ventilator, Mercury, Isle of Wight Advertiser, and County Press followed at later dates. These newspapers, or images of them, can be consulted at the Isle of Wight County Record Office, Newport.

There are also newspapers with Isle of Wight articles which can be viewed on the British Library website British Newspapers Online
2013-06-03T01:04:32+00:00
Local Newspapers Ryde and the Isle of Wight have a long history of local newspaper printing. The Isle of Wight Observer was begun in 1846, although not established until 1852.  It was printed at The Colonnade, Ryde by George and subsequently, Hannah Butler. From the first issue, Fashionable Lists were printed weekly to show residents and visitors who was in town. The Isle of Wight Times, Ventilator, Mercury, Isle of Wight Advertiser, and County Press followed at later dates. These newspapers, or images of them, can be consulted at the Isle of Wight County Record Office, Newport. There are also newspapers with Isle of Wight articles which can be viewed on the British Library website British Newspapers Online

Historic Photographs

Historic Photographs

Young Boy by Matthews

Child photographed by Matthews
Child photographed by Matthews

Child on a horse Photographed by Knight

More  historic photographs appear in the  Galleries.

Child photographed by Knight
2013-06-02T23:28:06+00:00
Historic Photographs More  historic photographs appear in the  Galleries.

The Brigstocke China

The Brigstocke China

All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful.

Brigstoke Terrace China Group front view

The Brigstocke China comprises pieces collected by the family over many years, reflecting catholic tastes.

Brigstoke Terrace China Group side view

Brigstoke Terrace China Group reverse view

Brigstoke Terrace China Hare

Brigstoke Terrace China Horse
2013-06-02T23:46:00+00:00
The Brigstocke China All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful. The Brigstocke China comprises pieces collected by the family over many years, reflecting catholic tastes.

The Royal Victoria Arcade

The Royal Victoria Arcade

The Royal Victoria Arcade - Victorian Timeline, the first 70 years of the Royal Victoria Arcade from the laying of the foundation stone to 1903

An etching of the original arcade frontage

1835 -May - Foundation Stone Ceremony
1836 - July - Opening Ceremony
1856 - July - Henry Knight buys the arcade for £3000
1856 - October - frontage altered
1857 - October - William Lacy the first Arcade photographer moves into a workshop in the basement
1862 -  March - Cornelius Jabez Hughes takes over Number 6 after Lacy's death, in November 1861
1864 -  Henry Knight's Fairy Fountain in the rotunda

An etching of the 1840s arcade interior

1880 - Henry patents tin opener and sells it to Crosse and Blackwell
1890 - Henry Knight goes bankrupt and hands over the arcade to his daughters
1895 - Death of Henry Knight
1903 - Arcade up for sale
2013-06-03T00:23:37+00:00
The Royal Victoria Arcade The Royal Victoria Arcade - Victorian Timeline, the first 70 years of the Royal Victoria Arcade from the laying of the foundation stone to 1903 1835 -May - Foundation Stone Ceremony 1836 - July - Opening Ceremony 1856 - July - Henry Knight buys the arcade for £3000 1856 - October - frontage altered 1857 - October - William Lacy the first Arcade photographer moves into a workshop in the basement 1862 -  March - Cornelius Jabez Hughes takes over Number 6 after Lacy's death, in November 1861 1864 -  Henry Knight's Fairy Fountain in the rotunda 1880 - Henry patents tin opener and sells it to Crosse and Blackwell 1890 - Henry Knight goes bankrupt and hands over the arcade to his daughters 1895 - Death of Henry Knight 1903 - Arcade up for sale

Original Logo

Original Logo

The original artwork for the logo was drawn by Lynne Phillips from a design on two shelters on Ryde Pier, and adapted by Depth.

Historic Ryde Society Logo

The original logo copyright Lynne Phillips

Cyril the Sea Serpent on Ryde Pier

 
2013-06-03T00:26:48+00:00
Original Logo The original artwork for the logo was drawn by Lynne Phillips from a design on two shelters on Ryde Pier, and adapted by Depth.  

Royal Ryde

Royal Ryde

Royal Ryde, the link to Queen Victoria.

The Duchess of Kent, mother of Queen Victoria, first brought her to stay at Norris Castle on the Isle of Wight in 1831. When it was decided to build the arcade in Ryde, Princess Victoria was asked whether she would agree to it being named for her. This is why, at the rear of the arcade, there is a window with a monogram PV - Princess Victoria.

The Princess Victoria Window Royal Victoria Arcade

The crest on the front of the arcade is that of Princess Victoria. A similar crest can be seen in Bath, much smaller and less colourful than the one in Ryde. The lion and the unicorn are also facing different directions.

Etching from 1874 of Crown Prince and Princess

 
2013-06-03T00:31:46+00:00
Royal Ryde Royal Ryde, the link to Queen Victoria. The Duchess of Kent, mother of Queen Victoria, first brought her to stay at Norris Castle on the Isle of Wight in 1831. When it was decided to build the arcade in Ryde, Princess Victoria was asked whether she would agree to it being named for her. This is why, at the rear of the arcade, there is a window with a monogram PV - Princess Victoria. The crest on the front of the arcade is that of Princess Victoria. A similar crest can be seen in Bath, much smaller and less colourful than the one in Ryde. The lion and the unicorn are also facing different directions.  

Royal visitors

Royal Visitors in Ryde


It is said that the Duchess of Kent first brought her daughter to the Isle of Wight so that she did not attend the coronation of her Uncle, William IV. On this, and subsequent occasions, they stayed at Norris Castle, in East Cowes.

It is also known that Victoria used rooms in The Royal Kent Hotel, now the Royal Squadron, on at least one occasion.

Etching of the Royal Kent Hotel, Union Street, Ryde
2013-06-03T00:40:11+00:00
Royal Visitors in Ryde It is said that the Duchess of Kent first brought her daughter to the Isle of Wight so that she did not attend the coronation of her Uncle, William IV. On this, and subsequent occasions, they stayed at Norris Castle, in East Cowes. It is also known that Victoria used rooms in The Royal Kent Hotel, now the Royal Squadron, on at least one occasion.

RYDE TREASURES

RYDE TREASURES


All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful.

A gown worn by a recent Mayor of the Borough of Ryde.

Ryde Borough Mayor's Robe

Ryde Town Sergeant's Hat.

Ryde Town Sargent Top Hat

 
2013-06-03T00:47:20+00:00
RYDE TREASURES All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful. A gown worn by a recent Mayor of the Borough of Ryde. Ryde Town Sergeant's Hat.  
Contact Us
Tel: (00)44 01983 717435 Web: www.historicrydesociety.com eMail: admin@historicrydesociety.com
Please specify the group

1880s Leisure in Ryde

1880s Leisure in Ryde

Ryde Ramblers′ Cricket Club

During last season a feeling was specifically brought before the notice of the public of Ryde and neighbourhood that the manly game of cricket would be much enjoyed by the youths and young men of the industrial classes during the fine Saturday half-holidays, and other leisure time, if they could get the opportunities of such enjoyment within their reach. There are Clubs, it is true, for private gentlemen or individuals holding tolerably good positions; but for the large class included within the terms of artisan and mechanic there has been practically, no Club; therefore, we were pleased to see towards the close of last season the Club named at the head of this paragraph come into existence, and, there is evidence of its containing the germs of healthy long life if but it can obtain some little substantial outside support in this its initiatory stage. Like all other undertakings of this class the preliminary expences (sic) are difficult to be met by its members, most of whom are, of course, not over-blessed with the commercial trinity yclept £ s d. Whilst stating that members’ names will be gladly welcomed by the Hon Secretary – G Perkis, Cedar Cottage, Weeks’, the Treasurer – A Jenkins, Haylands, and A Sothcott, 63, St John’s-road, Ryde – subscriptions will be received by these officers of the Club.

Formation of The Vectis Cycling Club March 1883

Salvo

Salvo

NEW CYCLE CLUB

A number of gentlemen residing in Ryde and neighbourhood have formed themselves into a Bicycle and Tricycle club. About 30 gentlemen have already joined. MR J R West has been elected president, and the vice persidents are the Rev W H Redknap, Surgeon-Gen Ross, Col Garlick, Capt Wellesley, Me Evelyn Rich, Mr Dudley Watkins, and Mr A Morse; captain, Mr H M Tarrant; deputy captain, Mr Thirkell; treasurer, Mr Jabez Hughes; secretary, Mr H H Morgan; bugler, Mr D R Wayland; committee, Messrs G Colenutt, H O Colyer, Durrant, H Lowe, D Marvin, and W Watts. The club is called “The Vectis Cycling Club,” and the annual subscription is 5s.

Isle of Wight Observer March 31, 1883
THE VECTIS CYCLING CLUB – The opening run of this newly-formed club took place on Thursday evening. Fifteen of the members met at 5 o’clock at the Town Hall, and the start was really a very pretty sight, there being seven bicycles and eight tricycles of various make, the Salvo, the Delta, the Phoenix, and the Victor, being amongst those represented. The captain, Mr Tarrant, led the van, with the bugler, Mr Wayland, the bicyclists following, and the deputy captain (Mr Thirkell) bringing up the rear. They proceeded, via Brading, to Sandown, returning through the lower road and back through Brading.

The 25 Mile Bicycle Championship…..

Open to Island Amateurs Isle of Wight Observer, November 24, 1883

We scarcely think it necessary to remind our readers that this race will take place next Tuesday, at 2 o’clock, round the Canoe Lake. As we notice the interest in the race has increased and is now very intense, we anticipate, with favourable weather, a very large gathering to witness the event. The authorities have carried out our suggestion, and have carefully repaired the track, which we venture to say will be in such a state by the 27th that no one will be able to complain. The silver cup to be awarded to the winner has been on view in Messrs J and A Morgan’s establishment in Union-street. It is of solid silver, gilt on the inside, and was supplied by Mr Rickard, of High-street, at a cost of £5 5s. Certainly it is of elegant design, and a not unsubstantial reward. The money for the cup and medals has been very willingly subscribed by inhabitants of the town, so that the cup presented by the President of the Club will remain to be raced on for another occasion. All competitors, except Mr Richardson of Freshwater, have now been on the Ryde track, so that one should be better able to judge of their respective powers, but we have no doubt that the state of the weather will influence the result materially at this season of the year. Certainly some riders will do comparatively better on a windy day, while others wish for a calm. If the wind is high it will mlake a difference in the number of time medals to be awarded, for although we anticipate the race will be won under 90 minutes on a quiet day when probably all would obtain medals, yet a very high wind will prolong the race another ten minutes and prevent several riders doing the distance under the 105 minutes. Mr Tarrant has this week been riding an entirely new machine, which he has just purchased. It is ten pounds lighter than the machine he was to have ridden, which is a great advantage on a good course. It seems to suit him remarkably well, and of the Ryde men he is undoubtedly the favourite, though Mr Marvin rides remarkably well, especially against the wind, and if it blows he has a splendid chance. Mr Smith will fortunately be able to ride, and is even now but little the worse for his accident. Mr Case, of Newport, has not entered, but Master Walters, of the Rev Goulden’s school, will make one of the starters, hoping to secure a time medal. We admire this young gentleman’s pluck. The general opinion is that either Peel or Tarrant will win, with Messrs Marvin, Feltham, Joyce, Colenutt and Smith well up.

RYDE AND NEWPORT RAILWAY – Early on Tuesday morning the engine attached to the train from Newport to Ryde gave out at the Ashey station and could not get into Ryde. The result was that the company were obliged to miss their 8.50 train, and some little inconvenience, not to say alarm, was caused. The train came through the station about 10 30 and was cheered by some of those waiting.

Ryde Model Yacht Club – 1881

 

Local Giving - Charity begins at home logo

Donate
Upcoming Events
Jan
31
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Jan 31 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Feb
28
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Feb 28 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Mar
28
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Mar 28 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Apr
25
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Apr 25 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
May
30
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
May 30 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Jun
27
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Jun 27 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Jul
25
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Jul 25 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Aug
29
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Aug 29 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Centre Opening
HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester opened the first extension of Ryde District Heritage Centre on Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Andrew and Brian chat to HRH The Duke of Gloucester and the Lord Lieutenant

The logo was drawn by Lynne Phillips from a design on the two shelters on Ryde Pier, and digitised by Depth.

Historic Ryde Society Logo

Archive