Royal Kent Hotel
The article below appeared in the Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle on May 15, 1837. It states that the hotel ‘has been erected within the last two years’, thus dating The Kent, now the Royal Squadron, to around 1835. It was built by Alexander Stephens. By May, 1842, Alexander was bankrupt, and the license was transferred to Mr Tippen.
To view a transcription of this article about the Royal Kent Hotel, click here.