Giving Ryde's past to the future

Heritage Lottery Fund Logo

Opening Times

Opening Hours

Monday - Saturday
11am - 4pm

Also Sundays in

July & August

Ryde District Heritage Centre is entirely run by volunteers.

Easy Fund Raising Logo

Original Logo

Original Logo

The original artwork for the logo was drawn by Lynne Phillips from a design on two shelters on Ryde Pier, and adapted by Depth.

Historic Ryde Society Logo

The original logo copyright Lynne Phillips

Cyril the Sea Serpent on Ryde Pier

 
2013-06-03T00:26:48+00:00
Original Logo The original artwork for the logo was drawn by Lynne Phillips from a design on two shelters on Ryde Pier, and adapted by Depth.  

Royal Ryde

Royal Ryde

Royal Ryde, the link to Queen Victoria.

The Duchess of Kent, mother of Queen Victoria, first brought her to stay at Norris Castle on the Isle of Wight in 1831. When it was decided to build the arcade in Ryde, Princess Victoria was asked whether she would agree to it being named for her. This is why, at the rear of the arcade, there is a window with a monogram PV - Princess Victoria.

The Princess Victoria Window Royal Victoria Arcade

The crest on the front of the arcade is that of Princess Victoria. A similar crest can be seen in Bath, much smaller and less colourful than the one in Ryde. The lion and the unicorn are also facing different directions.

Etching from 1874 of Crown Prince and Princess

 
2013-06-03T00:31:46+00:00
Royal Ryde Royal Ryde, the link to Queen Victoria. The Duchess of Kent, mother of Queen Victoria, first brought her to stay at Norris Castle on the Isle of Wight in 1831. When it was decided to build the arcade in Ryde, Princess Victoria was asked whether she would agree to it being named for her. This is why, at the rear of the arcade, there is a window with a monogram PV - Princess Victoria. The crest on the front of the arcade is that of Princess Victoria. A similar crest can be seen in Bath, much smaller and less colourful than the one in Ryde. The lion and the unicorn are also facing different directions.  

Royal visitors

Royal Visitors in Ryde


It is said that the Duchess of Kent first brought her daughter to the Isle of Wight so that she did not attend the coronation of her Uncle, William IV. On this, and subsequent occasions, they stayed at Norris Castle, in East Cowes.

It is also known that Victoria used rooms in The Royal Kent Hotel, now the Royal Squadron, on at least one occasion.

Etching of the Royal Kent Hotel, Union Street, Ryde
2013-06-03T00:40:11+00:00
Royal Visitors in Ryde It is said that the Duchess of Kent first brought her daughter to the Isle of Wight so that she did not attend the coronation of her Uncle, William IV. On this, and subsequent occasions, they stayed at Norris Castle, in East Cowes. It is also known that Victoria used rooms in The Royal Kent Hotel, now the Royal Squadron, on at least one occasion.

RYDE TREASURES

RYDE TREASURES


All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful.

A gown worn by a recent Mayor of the Borough of Ryde.

Ryde Borough Mayor's Robe

Ryde Town Sergeant's Hat.

Ryde Town Sargent Top Hat

 
2013-06-03T00:47:20+00:00
RYDE TREASURES All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful. A gown worn by a recent Mayor of the Borough of Ryde. Ryde Town Sergeant's Hat.  

Ryde Entertainment

Ryde Entertainment

Fine Art Exhibition at Ryde 1881

The inhabitants of 19th century Ryde enjoyed entertainment............... Bands played on the pier every evening, There were plays in the Theatre, concerts in the Town Hall, lectures and exhibitions in the Victoria Rooms and circuses on the Strand from the 1850s onwards. Local gentry also held balls and soirees in their homes - descriptions of which appeared in the local press the following week. Celebrities came from Paris and London to appear in Ryde - Mrs Jordan, Ellen Terry, Oscar Wilde, General Tom Thumb, The Christy Minstrels all appeared in Ryde following successful runs in London and over seas........Ryde was the place to be after London, Paris, New York! Hairdressers and other businessmen also followed the same route.
2013-06-03T00:57:12+00:00
Ryde Entertainment The inhabitants of 19th century Ryde enjoyed entertainment............... Bands played on the pier every evening, There were plays in the Theatre, concerts in the Town Hall, lectures and exhibitions in the Victoria Rooms and circuses on the Strand from the 1850s onwards. Local gentry also held balls and soirees in their homes - descriptions of which appeared in the local press the following week. Celebrities came from Paris and London to appear in Ryde - Mrs Jordan, Ellen Terry, Oscar Wilde, General Tom Thumb, The Christy Minstrels all appeared in Ryde following successful runs in London and over seas........Ryde was the place to be after London, Paris, New York! Hairdressers and other businessmen also followed the same route.

Railings

Railings

Cyril the sea Serpent on Ryde Pier

The railings on the pier were installed in 1895. It is believed the shelters were built at the same time, by Isaac Barton, a Mayor of Ryde, to a design by local architect Thomas Hellyer. Cyril the sea serpent is the guide for the Children's Page of the website.
2013-06-03T01:02:06+00:00
Railings The railings on the pier were installed in 1895. It is believed the shelters were built at the same time, by Isaac Barton, a Mayor of Ryde, to a design by local architect Thomas Hellyer. Cyril the sea serpent is the guide for the Children's Page of the website.

Local Newspapers

Local Newspapers

Ventilator Royals visit July 19 1873

Ryde and the Isle of Wight have a long history of local newspaper printing. The Isle of Wight Observer was begun in 1846, although not established until 1852.  It was printed at The Colonnade, Ryde by George and subsequently, Hannah Butler. From the first issue, Fashionable Lists were printed weekly to show residents and visitors who was in town. The Isle of Wight Times, Ventilator, Mercury, Isle of Wight Advertiser, and County Press followed at later dates. These newspapers, or images of them, can be consulted at the Isle of Wight County Record Office, Newport.

There are also newspapers with Isle of Wight articles which can be viewed on the British Library website British Newspapers Online
2013-06-03T01:04:32+00:00
Local Newspapers Ryde and the Isle of Wight have a long history of local newspaper printing. The Isle of Wight Observer was begun in 1846, although not established until 1852.  It was printed at The Colonnade, Ryde by George and subsequently, Hannah Butler. From the first issue, Fashionable Lists were printed weekly to show residents and visitors who was in town. The Isle of Wight Times, Ventilator, Mercury, Isle of Wight Advertiser, and County Press followed at later dates. These newspapers, or images of them, can be consulted at the Isle of Wight County Record Office, Newport. There are also newspapers with Isle of Wight articles which can be viewed on the British Library website British Newspapers Online

Historic Photographs

Historic Photographs

Young Boy by Matthews

Child photographed by Matthews
Child photographed by Matthews

Child on a horse Photographed by Knight

More  historic photographs appear in the  Galleries.

Child photographed by Knight
2013-06-02T23:28:06+00:00
Historic Photographs More  historic photographs appear in the  Galleries.

The Brigstocke China

The Brigstocke China

All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful.

Brigstoke Terrace China Group front view

The Brigstocke China comprises pieces collected by the family over many years, reflecting catholic tastes.

Brigstoke Terrace China Group side view

Brigstoke Terrace China Group reverse view

Brigstoke Terrace China Hare

Brigstoke Terrace China Horse
2013-06-02T23:46:00+00:00
The Brigstocke China All images reproduced with permission of IW Heritage Service, to whom we are very grateful. The Brigstocke China comprises pieces collected by the family over many years, reflecting catholic tastes.

The Royal Victoria Arcade

The Royal Victoria Arcade

The Royal Victoria Arcade - Victorian Timeline, the first 70 years of the Royal Victoria Arcade from the laying of the foundation stone to 1903

An etching of the original arcade frontage

1835 -May - Foundation Stone Ceremony
1836 - July - Opening Ceremony
1856 - July - Henry Knight buys the arcade for £3000
1856 - October - frontage altered
1857 - October - William Lacy the first Arcade photographer moves into a workshop in the basement
1862 -  March - Cornelius Jabez Hughes takes over Number 6 after Lacy's death, in November 1861
1864 -  Henry Knight's Fairy Fountain in the rotunda

An etching of the 1840s arcade interior

1880 - Henry patents tin opener and sells it to Crosse and Blackwell
1890 - Henry Knight goes bankrupt and hands over the arcade to his daughters
1895 - Death of Henry Knight
1903 - Arcade up for sale
2013-06-03T00:23:37+00:00
The Royal Victoria Arcade The Royal Victoria Arcade - Victorian Timeline, the first 70 years of the Royal Victoria Arcade from the laying of the foundation stone to 1903 1835 -May - Foundation Stone Ceremony 1836 - July - Opening Ceremony 1856 - July - Henry Knight buys the arcade for £3000 1856 - October - frontage altered 1857 - October - William Lacy the first Arcade photographer moves into a workshop in the basement 1862 -  March - Cornelius Jabez Hughes takes over Number 6 after Lacy's death, in November 1861 1864 -  Henry Knight's Fairy Fountain in the rotunda 1880 - Henry patents tin opener and sells it to Crosse and Blackwell 1890 - Henry Knight goes bankrupt and hands over the arcade to his daughters 1895 - Death of Henry Knight 1903 - Arcade up for sale
Contact Us
Tel: (00)44 01983 717435 Web: www.historicrydesociety.com eMail: admin@historicrydesociety.com

Ryde Treasures

Ryde Treasures

Solid silver trowel

Solid silver trowel

A priceless treasure handed down through the years is the solid silver trowel used to lay the foundation Stone of Ryde Town Hall and Market House. This was given to the East Medina Lodge no 175 by Brother G Rendall, PM PPSGW, on January 21, 1880. It has been loaned to Historic Ryde Society by the Lodge and is now on display in Ryde District Heritage Centre.

The trowel was used twice – to lay the Foundation Stone in 1830, and the Copestone in 1831. To read an extract from the Freemasons’ report of these Ceremonies, click here. The full transcription is as follows:
Top:
The First Stone of Ryde Town Hall and Market House was laid with this Trowel on Friday the 14th of May 1830 by John Lind of Westmont Esq MD attended by the Building Committee
Thomas Robert Brigstocke
William Hughes Hughes
William Houghton Banks
Hastings Elwin
James Dempster
and their Brother Commissioners
assisted by the Members of the several Lodges of the Ancient & Honorable
Fraternity of Freemasons in the Isle of Wight
James Sanderson Architect
William Tapler Clerk of the Works
Thomas Dashwood Builder

Reverse:
The Cope Stone of Ryde Town Hall &
Market House was fix’d with this Trowel
on Wednesday,
the 1st of June 1831 by
William Collier Francis Gloster Sheridan
acting WM of the East Medina Lodge
of Truth and Friendship no 291
in the presence of the
Right Honble Chas Anderson Pelham
Lord Yarborough PGM
Daniel Hale PM
Thomas Dashwood SW
David Newberry
assisted by the Worshipful Masters Officers
brethren of the Lodges in the Isle of
Wight viz.
West Medina no 48
Albany Lodge, No 249 Vectis Lodge no 568 +also of the Phoenix Lodge no 484 Portsmouth
Lodge of Harmony no 575 Gosport
and a numerous Assembly of Brethren
from other Lodges attended by the Building Committee.
W Hughes Hughes Esq MP Chairman
Thomas Robert Brigstocke
William Houghton Banks
Hastings Elwin
James Dempster
and their Brother Commissioners

The silver hallmark denotes the trowel was made in London in 1829.

Many of the names which appear on the trowel are people who had a long association with Ryde.  The Brigstocke family were major benefactors in the town and their story is well documented. Most of them are buried in the vaults beneath St Thomas’ Church. William Houghton Banks was the person who founded the Royal Victoria Arcade in Union Street, and also Vernon Square. He was an apothecary who lived in Morpeth House, Union Street. His father, also William, had been a bookseller in the town. Both Williams were Navy Surgeons during their lifetimes. James Sanderson also designed Brigstocke Terrace and St Thomas’ Church.  Thomas Dashwood came from Whippingham, and built many houses in Ryde, including most of the buildings in The Strand. He also built St Catherine’s Lighthouse. William Hughes Hughes lived in Bellevue House. One of his daughters married into the Bloxam family, who lived in Dover House, The Strand. Gloster Sheridan owned Sheridan’s Hotel in Union Street, in the building currently occupied by Ladbrokes. In the mid 1830s he left his older children with their grandparents in Newport, and moved to Salford with his wife and youngest child, where he became Governor of Salford Workhouse. Only two months after the 1841 census, Gloster died, leaving his wife heavily pregnant, and with a six year old child, in the North of England, far from her family. His posthumous son was baptised in Newport the following year. Daniel Hale owned the Royal Pier Hotel.

Proposed plan for Ryde Esplanade 1846

More Treasures from Ryde

Ryde’s new Mayoral regalia

Hill’s Stores Treasures

Ryde Town Sergeants

Town Hall Medal

Town Hall Medal

In 1868, the New Town Hall was opened, and Miss Brigstocke presented the Town Hall Clock to Ryde. A small commemorative medal was struck for the occasion and the Observer began a column written by ‘The Town Hall Clock’!

Local Giving - Charity begins at home logo

Donate
Upcoming Events
Mar
25
Sat
10:00 AM Collectors’ Fair – Masonic Hall @ Masonic Hall
Collectors’ Fair – Masonic Hall @ Masonic Hall
Mar 25 @ 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Collectors’ Fair – Masonic Hall
Mar
30
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Mar 30 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Apr
12
Wed
7:30 PM Talk by Ken Hicks on An Island L... @ Yelf's Hotel
Talk by Ken Hicks on An Island L... @ Yelf's Hotel
Apr 12 @ 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM
Talk by Ken Hicks on “An Island Legacy – Brannons views of 200 years ago, compared with the same views today” An Island Legacy – Kenneth Hicks
Apr
27
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Apr 27 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
May
25
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
May 25 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Jun
29
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Jun 29 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Jul
27
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Jul 27 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Aug
31
Thu
7:30 PM The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
The Quiz! @ Yelf's Hotel
Aug 31 @ 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Raising funds for the Historic Centre! Doors open at 7.00 pm.
Centre Opening
HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester opened the first extension of Ryde District Heritage Centre on Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Andrew and Brian chat to HRH The Duke of Gloucester and the Lord Lieutenant

The logo was drawn by Lynne Phillips from a design on the two shelters on Ryde Pier, and digitised by Depth.

Historic Ryde Society Logo

Archive